Monday, September 5, 2011

Andhra Keema Curry


 The Taj Lands End apparently makes a mean Keema Pau (lamb mince with rustic bread) - or so I hear from hubby who stays there sometimes. He was hankering for some keema on a weekend and telling me about this dish they have on the breakfast buffet and how he really likes it. So, I put on my best snob accent and tell him there is no way a swanky hotel can hope to recreate authentic keema pau. Now an Irani restaurant - that's the place to have a good plate of keema pau!

But since the hankering was for keema, I decided to cook some Andhra mince curry from this recipe in Sailu's Kitchen. Good decision - the dish is as good as it looks. This was the first time my daughter had mince and she loved it. She ate it for the next three meals (in small quantities) - with roti, rice and bread! Since, hubby had the keema pau in mind, I adapted this recipe to make it much drier than the original version.Sailu's version is a thick gravy like dish. Mine is not only drier, its also pretty spicy I think - I added more chilli powder to enhance the colour and that seems to have done the trick.
 

Andhra Keema Curry

My adapted recipe which makes it more robust and a little more fiery:

Ingredients:1/2 kg minced goat meat (mutton keema), washed thoroughly and drained
2 onions finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1tbsp ginger garlic paste
curry leaves - handful
Green chillies - slit - 3-4
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee
coriander leaves for garnish

Dry roast the spices and powder
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds

3 dry red chillis
Methi seeds - pinch
Saunf - 1/4 tsp

(I omitted the poppy seeds from the original recipe because I didn't want the creaminess it gives)

Method:
1 Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker, add the green chillies, onions and saute till the onions turn transluscent. The ginger garlic paste goes in next for about 3-4 minutes and then the mutton. Stir fry on high for 5 minutes.
2.Add the freshly ground masala powder, red chilli powders and chopped tomatoes and cook till pulpy.
3 Add the salt and about half a cup of water and put the weight on the cooker, close and cook under pressure for 3-4 whistles and then keep on low flame for 5 minutes.
4. Open the cooker when the pressure reduces, heat and add water if needed or bring to boil and simmer till excess water is  taken away and the keema consistency is reached.
5. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve with pav or rice.

9 comments:

sra said...

That really looks rich and filling - can imagine how well it goes with pau!

Spandana said...

looks delicious... I would love that with roti :-)

indosungod said...

Looks delicious Miri. I am ready for kheema any time. I think extra spicy goes a long way in enhancing the test.

Archana said...

Hmmm, K relishes kheema ? Wow !! Lil S still cant have too much spice, though he is a big foodie otherwise :)

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

thats a lovely curry Miri. never cooked it this way but looks perfect with chapathi.

Priya Suresh said...

Slupr,soo tempting..

Miri said...

Arch - its all convenience - when she likes something then the spice is not a deterrent, else even a plain dal with a hint of green chilli will be termed to spicy to eat!

Kalyan said...

Keema curry is one of my favourites anytime...just looks delicious and mouthwatering.

Sig said...

I like kheema always on the drier side, and of course spicier the better! I bet this will be great in dosas too.